The 14th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC) is but a memory. We hope you enjoyed cultivating or renewing a daily writing habit during the month of March. While being part of a writing community is the true reward of this challenge, there are prizes.
We hope you are as excited as we are for this prize announcement. We appreciate the publishers, our friends in the education community, and some of own Slicers who donated prizes this year. We appreciate the unwavering support of our writing community.
The Second Welcome Wagon Prize
Stenhouse Publishers sponsored the second Welcome Wagon prize. Year after year, our Welcome Wagon volunteers inspire and support our newest community members. As a way to thank them for taking on this extra responsibility, we offer two sets of prizes for Welcome Wagon volunteers.The winners of this prize are Anna Barrick, Christine Baldiga, and Adrienne Gillespie.
The First Timer Prize
Corwin Press sponsored a collection of prizes specifically for our first-time Slicers. The winners of this prize are Mary Archambault, Vivian Chen, Alice Garza, and Jackie Higgins.
The Spirit of the Challenge Prize
This prize is supported and sponsored by Highlights Foundation. It’s a nomination prize that is given to a member of the community who embodies the spirit of this challenge. Carla Brown will have the opportunity to take advantage of of an on-campus workshop, an online course, or an Unworkshop.
The SOLSC Classic Prizes
We’ve continued to stay true to some traditions from the earliest Slice of Life Story Challenge, which began in 2008. Therefore, we still give away an abundance of Classic Prizes for members of our community who wrote daily for the entire month of March and left at least three comments for other Slicers every day.
- Beth Hopkins will receive the prize from Charlesbridge.
- Jill S. Bless, Stephanie Stinemetz, and Megan Watson will receive the prize from Chronicle Books.
- Cindy Chiu and Alyssa Sibig will receive the prizes from Cinco Puntos Press.
- Brittany Butler, Molly Hogan, Dawn Sherriff, and Amy Spitzer will receive the prize packs from Disney Publishing Worldwide.
- Marc McTeague will receive the prize from Laurence King Publishing.
- Celia Fisher, Kristi Lonheim, and Chris Rayner will receive the prizes from Scholastic.
- Shawna Coppola’s prize will go to Michelle Olson.
- Karen Filewych’s prizes will go to Heidi Clark and Fran McVeigh.
- Shana Frazin’s prize will go to Gail K. Brockmann.
- Adrienne Gear’s prizes will go to Terje Akke and Trina Bartel.
- Darin Johnson’s prize will go to Jennifer Mitchell.
- Pam Koutrakos’ prize will go to Jessica Carey.
- Denise Krebs’ prizes will go to Tina Baldwin and Margaret Simon
- Carol J. Labuzetta’s prizes will go to Diane Anderson, Judy Kovalchik, Susan Kennedy, and Eric Wilkinson.
- Patty McGee’s prizes will go to Teri Cote, Katie Diez, Beth Sanderson, and Erika Victor
- Christina Nosek’s prizes will go to Fran Haley and Christine Wyman.
- Kelsey Sorum’s prize will go to Janeen Pizzo.
- Amy Ludwig VanDerwater’s prize will go to Morgan Davis.
- Erika Victor’s prize will go to Robert Hamera.
- Maria Walther’s prize will go to Carol Clark.
- Julie Wright’s prize will go to Deidra Hooper.
That’s a wrap on the prizes for the 14th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge.
Thank you to sponsors of the mid-month and end-of-challenge prizes!
Congratulations to the prize winners!
I am a literacy consultant who has spent the past dozen years working with teachers to improve the teaching of writing in their classrooms. While I work with teachers and students in grades K-6, I'm a former fourth and fifth-grade teacher so I have a passion for working with upper elementary students.
I'm the author of Craft Moves (Stenhouse Publishers, 2016) and the co-author of Jump Into Writing (Zaner-Bloser, 2021), Welcome to Writing Workshop (Stenhouse Publishers, 2019), and Day By Day (Stenhouse, 2010).