Summer has finally arrived. Even though the work is never really done as a teacher, the change of pace is always a welcomed friend that allows me to read more, write more, and notice more. From all of us at Two Writing Teachers, we hope you get to do the same while taking an extra moment to hug on your loved ones and spend some well deserved days relaxing in the sunshine. If you are like me, it can be hard to completely cut yourself off from learning for too long. No need to worry, even though there won’t be any new posts from now until Wednesday, August 1 when Kelsey welcomes us back, there is plenty to read from our archives as well as so much to look forward to as we start a new school year!
Our Next Blog Series
I will kick off our next blog series titled, Dreaming Big for This Year’s Writing Workshop, the fifth of August. We all have that one thing we wish we had done last year and tell ourselves, “Maybe this is the year.” This August we hope to inspire and nudge you to try that one thing and successfully start and sustain it through the school year.
Our Past Blog Series
As you start to dream big for next year you might find inspiration hiding within these past blog series posts! These are a treasure trove of ideas, visuals, and tools to get you on the right path toward a great start as you begin planning your year.
- November 2013: Tailoring Our Teaching
- February 2014: Writing About Reading
- May 2014: Independent Writing
- August 2014: Sharpen Your Workshop Routines
- November 2014: Work Smarter, Not Harder
- February 2015: Aim Higher: Outgrow Old Goals and Set New Ones
- May 2015: Conferring Toolkits
- August 2015: Creating Classroom Environments to Launch the School Year
- November 2015: Diving Into Information Writing
- February 2016: Discovering the Writer’s Life
- May 2016: Teaching Writing with Mentor Texts
- August 2016: Starting with What Matters Most
- November 2016: Assessment Strengthens Writers
- February 2017: Authentic Purposes for Writing
- May 2017: Keep Learning Going Throughout the Summer
- August 2017: Writing Workshop Fundamentals
- November 2017: Solving Predictable Problems
- February 2018: Beyond the Fundamentals of Writing Workshop
- May 2018: Looking Back and Moving Forward
Check in on Tuesdays as Kathleen continues to host our weekly call for Slice of Life Stories through the month of July. If you have been thinking about joining, summer is a great time to share your first Slice of Life Story. Simply write your story on your personal blog, share the URL on Tuesday in our comment section, and leave at least three comments for other bloggers.
- Follow us on Twitter. Many of us will be learning and tweeting throughout the summer.
- Follow us on Pinterest and Facebook
But most of all rest, relax, and recharge!
While you do, collect story ideas, think of all you accomplished this past school year, and begin to dream big and wonder about what’s to come!