- Learning at the TCRWP August Writing Institute — I’ll be taking “Staff Development in Writing: Methods That Maximize Growth” with Annie Taranto and “Reading-Writing Connections Can Spur Revision” with Carl Anderson.
- Spending evenings with my parents.
- Seeing my extended NY family who I haven’t seen since last summer.
- Meeting up with Bonnie Kaplan and Tara Smith for lunch!
- Getting together with some of the kids who were in my final fifth grade class when I taught in Manhattan. (They’ll be seniors this fall!)
- Participating in Cathy Mere and Mandy Robek’s Picture Book 10 for 10!
- Setting-up my new PC, which will arrive this week.
- Enjoying the bounty of farm-fresh tomatoes by making gazpacho.
- Visiting to Ogunquit for some much-needed r&r.
- Taking advantage of back to school supply sales.
- Catching up with Slicers’ blogs.
- Resuming my regular exercise and writing schedules.
- Celebrating the Jewish high holidays with family. (Though Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur technically occur in late summer.)
- Walking in a Walk for Children with Apaxia of Speech.
- Picking apples and visiting the pumpkin patch with my family.
- Beginning a new writing project.
- Working with and learning from other local educators.
- Speaking at the Keystone State Reading Association Conference in State College with Ruth.
- Learning from other educators at NCTE in Boston.
- Hosting my fifth Thanksgiving dinner, which coincides with the first night of Chanukah this year!
I am a literacy consultant who has spent over a decade working with teachers to improve the teaching of writing in their classrooms. While I work with teachers and students in grade K-6, I'm a former fourth and fifth-grade teacher so I have a passion for working with upper elementary students.
I'm the author of Craft Moves (Stenhouse Publishers, 2016) and the co-author of Jump Into Writing (Zaner-Bloser, 2021), Welcome to Writing Workshop (Stenhouse Publishers, 2019), and Day By Day (Stenhouse, 2010).