After what was one of the toughest school years most educators have ever lived through, SUMMER IS HERE! Even though a teacher’s work is never done, the unstructured summer months are a welcome gift for educators. From all of us at Two Writing Teachers, we hope you have ample opportunities to enjoy some downtime in the months to come!
Even though there won’t be any new posts from now until Sunday, August 1st when our next blog series begins, there is plenty to read from our archives as well as so much to look forward to as we start a new school year!
Our Next Blog Series
For the past few months, much of the national narrative has focused on “learning loss.” As educators, we know teachers showed up and instructed kids — in-person, remotely, or with a hybrid approach — during the 2020-21 school year. Students learned last year. Therefore, we are not focusing on “learning loss” in our first blog series of the 2021-22 school year.
On Sunday, August 1st, I will kick off our next blog series, Our Favorite Things, which will seek to be both affirming and inspiring. We want to bring you back to things we love most about workshop… the tried and true things that can be done (again!) during the next school year.
Check Out Our Past Blog Series Posts
As you start to prepare for next year you might find inspiration hiding within our past blog series posts! These series contain a treasure trove of ideas, visuals, and tools to get you on the right path toward a great start as you begin planning your year. Here are some of our past August blog series round-ups (each of which include hyperlinks to topical posts):
- August 2014: Sharpen Your Workshop Routines
- August 2015: Creating Classroom Environments to Launch the School Year
- August 2016: Starting with What Matters Most
- August 2017: Writing Workshop Fundamentals
- August 2018: Dreaming Big for This Year’s Writing Workshop
- August 2019: Nurturing Independence from the Start
- August 2020: Seen, Valued, Heard: Writing to Establish Community
Check in on Tuesdays as Kathleen hosts our weekly call for Slice of Life Stories through the month of July. If you have been thinking about joining, summer is a great time to share your first Slice of Life Story. Simply write your story on your personal blog, share the URL on Tuesday in our comment section, and leave at least three comments for other bloggers.
Voices from the Community
Do you have something you can share with our community of educators? It can be a celebration of something that worked, something you’re grappling with, or something that might push the thinking of teachers and literacy coaches? We’d LOVE to hear from you?
- Click here to learn more.
- Click here to read recent Voices from the Community posts.
- Click here to pitch us your idea.
- Follow us on Twitter. Many of us will be learning and tweeting throughout the summer.
- Follow us Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook
Please rest, relax, and recharge!