Our 4th Annual Author Spotlight Series has come to a close. In case you missed the incredible posts from published children’s and professional book authors contributed to the series, I created a round-up to their guest blog posts that shared their thoughts about writing, their writing processes, and their paths to publishing.
- On the first day of the series, Doreen Rappaport wrote about finding the hook in writing biographies.
- Last Monday, Lester Laminack shared about building a house of fiction on a foundation of nonfiction.
- On Tuesday, Tanya Lee Stone shared the story behind her most recent picture book biography about Ada Lovelace.
- On Wednesday, Melissa Iwai wrote about teachable concepts for young kids through cooking.
- On Thursday, Jeff Anderson inspired us with a piece about the writing process and how it’s quite a slippery thing.
- On Friday, Tammy Mulligan and Clare Landrigan provided us with a peek into the process of writing a professional book together.
- On Saturday, Mike Leannah shared about embracing rejection when pitching manuscripts.
- Yesterday, Candace Fleming closed out our 4th Annual Author Spotlight Series with her piece about the amazing search for Joseph Cornell.
Each post included a giveaway for each author’s books. Sometimes there were virtual author visits included in the giveaway package. Comments will be open on each post until Sunday, June 3rd, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EDT. (I will announce the winners to each Author Spotlight giveaway at the bottom of each post by Wednesday evening, June 6th.) Therefore, be sure to leave a comment on the posts that resonate with you so you’ll be entered for a chance to win each author’s giveaway package.
Finally, this is the fourth year we’ve invited authors and illustrators to share their expertise with us. Please check out our past Author Spotlight Series posts to learn from our past guest authors. In addition, you might wish to create QR codes that you could print out and put in their books in your classroom so your students can read these Author Spotlight posts too.
- Our 3rd Annual Author Spotlight Series included guest posts from Rose Cappelli, Suzanne Del Rizzo, Lynne Dorfman, Anna Forrester, Meg Kearney, Elaine Magliaro, Ashley Spires, and Renée Watson.
- Our 2nd Author Spotlight Series included guest blog posts from Isabel Bandeira, Maribeth Boelts, Paula Bourque, Lauren Castillo, Julie Falatko, Bob Graham, and Liz Garton Scanlon.
- Our 1st Author Spotlight Series included guest blog posts from Karen Beaumont, Mike Curato, Ralph Fletcher, Val Jones, Trudy Ludwig, Augusta Scattergood, and Melissa Stewart. (The series was an experiment the first year so I didn’t think to do a round-up post after it ended. Please click on each author’s name to view their post.)
NOTE: Comments are closed on this page.
I am a literacy consultant who has spent the past dozen years working with teachers to improve the teaching of writing in their classrooms. While I work with teachers and students in grades K-6, I'm a former fourth and fifth-grade teacher so I have a passion for working with upper elementary students.
I'm the author of Craft Moves (Stenhouse Publishers, 2016) and the co-author of Jump Into Writing (Zaner-Bloser, 2021), Welcome to Writing Workshop (Stenhouse Publishers, 2019), and Day By Day (Stenhouse, 2010).