Welcome to the second day of the 13th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge!
- When you comment, please make sure to link to the slicer’s blog and leave your comment on their blog site, as opposed to leaving a comment underneath their linked slice.
- Kathleen’s post, New Slicers‘ Survival Guide explains many of the details which may make more sense now that we’re underway. If you’re struggling with any of the logistics, you may find answers through her post.
- Don’t forget that if you have intentionally expanded this community be getting others to join in the Challenge, you are eligible for the Community Expander Prize. Please fill out the form, and you may find yourself the winner of new professional books from Heinemann!
- I’ve streamlined the essential information into a slideshow so the daily calls for slice of life stories aren’t cluttered with text. ICYMI: Here’s everything you need to know to help you fully-engage with this month’s challenge.
Longtime Slicer, Maureen Ingram of Writing Beside Me, shared an emotional slice of life story a couple of Tuesdays ago. “A Cruel Focus,” was written in stanzas. If you want to try your hand at crafting a slice of life story in poetic form, then check out Maureen’s post.
Need to contact a co-author with a question? Please email us rather than leaving your question within your comment (below). Thank you, in advance, for your patience with us. We receive a high volume of emails during the first few days of the challenge. We will respond to all emails as soon as possible.
If you have questions about the individual challenge, you may contact one of these co-authors.
- If your last name begins with the letters A-G, please email questions to Lanny Ball at lanny.ball[at]gmail.com.
- If your last name begins with the letters H-M, please email questions to Kelsey Corter at kelseymcorter[at]gmail.com.
- If your last name begins with the letters N-Q, please email questions to Betsy Hubbard at betsymhubbard[at]gmail.com.
- If your last name begins with the letters R-U, please email questions to Melanie Meehan at meehanmelanie[at]gmail.com.
- If your last name begins with the letters V-Z, please email questions to Beth Moore, beth[at]elizabethmoore.work.
NOTE: As I mentioned yesterday, I am unable to respond to questions this month due to a recovery from surgery. Many thanks to my colleagues for picking up my slack!
If you have questions about the Classroom Challenge, which will take place next month, you may contact one of these co-authors:
- If your last name begins with the letters A – M, please email questions to Marina Rodriguez, mrodriguez[at]csisd.org.
- If your last name begins with the letters N – Z, please email questions to Kathleen Sokolowski mrs.sokolowski[at]gmail.com.
Please note: We’re unable to respond to challenge-related questions via Facebook and Twitter.
I am a literacy consultant who has spent the past dozen years working with teachers to improve the teaching of writing in their classrooms. While I work with teachers and students in grades K-6, I'm a former fourth and fifth-grade teacher so I have a passion for working with upper elementary students.
I'm the author of Craft Moves (Stenhouse Publishers, 2016) and the co-author of Jump Into Writing (Zaner-Bloser, 2021), Welcome to Writing Workshop (Stenhouse Publishers, 2019), and Day By Day (Stenhouse, 2010).