Last month, I ran a post announcing the prizes for this year’s Slice of Life Story Challenge. I promised four prizes would be given away during the month of March. I hinted that the prizes would be given away based on commenting and writing streaks. Well, today is the first of three prize giveaways and it’s especially for FIRST-TIME MARCH CHALLENGE SLICERS.
If you’re new to the Slice of Life Story Challenge, then what I hope you’re realizing by now is that this is a community. When the Challenge started in 2008, there were just 11 of us who wrote for all 31 days of March. Now there are nearly 200 people participating. Some have participated in past month-long Challenges while others have written for the year-long Tuesday Challenge. Regardless of how long we’ve been blogging about slices of our life, we are a community. And now, you’re part of it.
Communities like ours need two basic things: writers and readers. It’s my hope that all of the new month-long Challenge participants have received comments on their blogs. I’d like to know what ONE person’s comments have fueled you as writer? Who has left a comment on your blog that has made you want to come back to share your writing in this online forum? How did the person who read and commented on your post make you feel by leaving a comment on your post?
After you read the “rules” below, please leave a comment letting all of us know who is motivating you as a writer. You must leave your comment by 8:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday, March 7th to be entered into the giveaway for a prize. To that end, I will be giving away two prizes from Choice Literacy (see pictures below): Franki Sibberson’s Writers in Transition DVD and a copy of the Mentor Texts DVD by Aimee Buckner. I will use a random number generator to select one new slicer (and the commenter who is motivating them) to win the prizes.
- This must be your first time you’re ever participating in our month-long Slice of Life Story Challenge.
- You may only mention ONE Slice of Life Story Challenge participant who has inspired you as a writer since the month-long challenge began. I know it might be hard to pick one person, but I only have two prizes to give away, so that’s why you must pick one. (If other people are helping you as a writer, then be sure to go to their blog and leave them a comment telling them how much you appreciate them!)
- The commenter who you will laud publicly (by leaving a comment on this post) must be part of the 5th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge. (Cross-check Ruth’s posts from 3/1 – 3/5 if you’re unsure.)
- While it is my hope Ruth and I have made you feel welcome since the Challenge began on March 1st, we never enter ourselves into prize drawings. Therefore, please do NOT mention either of us when you leave a comment on this post.
- Please do not leave the link to your Slice of Life Story as a comment on this post. You must leave your link on Ruth’s daily call for slices.
- Again, you must leave your comment by Wednesday, March 7th at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time so you and the commenter you’re mentioning can be entered into the giveaway for a prize. I will announce the winners on Thursday, March 8th.
Many thanks to Choice Literacy for donating these prizes:
Literacy Consultant. Author. Former 4th and 5th Grade Classroom Teacher.