You Up for a Writing Challenge?
I’m hoping you plan to join the Slice of Life Story Challenge in March. I’m also hoping you talk to your friends, parents, children, spouses, or strangers in the grocery store line about the challenge because documenting the little moments in our ordinary days is rewarding. (Mom, are you reading this? It’s time for you to start a blog!) In fact, just this week I received two emails from people who have started Slicing and are excited about the way our writing community has given them more energy for writing.
This is a flyer I plan to share with teachers around my school (if we get to school — yikes ice!). Here is the PDF version for you to download and print (or attach to an email): sols flyer.
A few things to note about SOLS Challenge:
- You need a blog to participate. Here is information on starting a blog: https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/start-a-blog/. If you have twenty minutes, you have time to start a blog. And don’t use the excuse that you don’t have time to keep up. Some Slicers only use their blog once a year for the Slice of Life Story Challenge. This can be you too. See? Low pressure!
- You will need to write a Slice and then share the unique URL each day here at Two Writing Teachers. I will be closing comments at 5:00 am Eastern time on the next morning for the previous day post. This is a little different than previous years. If you get your URL linked before I close the comments it will count as your daily link. This should also help late night Slicers outside of the Eastern time zone. (Just a little side note — I’m crazy busy, so I’m sure there will be some days I don’t get the link closed at 5:00 am. Consider this a bonus if you happen to be busy too and don’t get your Slice linked one day. If the comments are open, you can link and count it as completing the daily Slice.)
- Prizes will be given to anyone who Slices and links their unique URL 28/31 days. At the end of the month, if you qualify, you will need to put your name in the giveaway post. This goes back to my crazy-busy life. I don’t have time to keep up with with who misses a day. You keep track and if you complete the challenge and post 28/31 days enter yourself in the giveaway at the end of the month.
- Prizes will also be given on random days throughout the challenge. It’s about writing because it’s good for you. Life will happen and for some of us it will hit harder than for others. Just because you aren’t able to complete 28/31 days doesn’t mean you fail. Don’t give up if you happen to miss three days early in the month. Writing is supposed to be fun. This is why I’m donating the “writer’s packs.” I want to give them away just for attempting the challenge. Completely on a whim, I’ll select days to choose a random Slicer for a writer’s pack.
- Sorry international friends, but only those in the US are eligible for prizes. I’m sure you understand since I’m covering the shipping rates.
- Still wondering what a Slice is? Check out this post: https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/what-is-a-slice-of-life/.
- The back story of Slice of Life Story Challenge is here: https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/challenges/.
If you have questions, wonderings, or comments about Slice of Life Story Challenge 2011, please leave a note in the comments.