Two weeks ago one of my best friends moved and now lives two hours away. She was in town yesterday and today presenting at my school. We were able to chat a little, but not enough. She was sharing with me how her new house doesn’t feel like home. Which made me begin to consider: What makes a home?
- Snuggly blankets and comfy furniture to make you feel warm on the outside, plus gentle giggles and hugs to make you feel warm on the inside.
- Smiling faces on the walls of those who are most important.
- Collections that make you happy. For me, these are scrapbook albums and A’s.
- Evidence of the people who live there. In our home this involves: trains and dolls and backpacks and work boots and books beside our beds.
- The feeling of security when you walk in the door and know — no matter what — life will be okay because now you are home.
- Hugs and hugs and more hugs.
- A bit of red. 🙂
What makes a home for you?
Unhurried. Finding the magic in the middle of living. Capturing a life of ridiculous grace + raw stories.