Welcome to the World, Thomas!
You may remember Anna was expecting a baby in early November. Well, her little boy wanted to meet his mom and dad a little early. Thomas Hudson Cockerille arrived a few days ago weighing in at 7.1 pounds. This new family of three is doing well and home from the hospital!
As you know, life with a new baby is HECTIC. I scoffed whenever people told me life was going to change once I had a child… ’til I saw how much it changed! I LOVE to cook, but suddenly didn’t have time to make the complex, time-consuming meals I had made before my daughter was born. I was fortunate to have a next-door neighbor who brought over hot meals for us for an entire week. I had another two weeks of people from my synagogue bringing over dinner. And then I was on my own. I needed fast and healthy recipes, which can be hard to find.
Ruth threw me a virtual baby shower when I had Isabelle. I would like to do something similar for Anna in this space. Since I live three hours away from Anna, I cannot take her a meal. I’m sharing some of my favorite recipes I make when I’m short on time:
- Baked Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes, Herbs, and Lemon from Williams-Sonoma
- Buttermilk Roast Chicken from Smitten Kitchen
- Caprese Salad Strata from Teeny Tiny Foodie
- Easiest Baked Mac-and-Cheese from Smitten Kitchen (I make this recipe healthier by using lowfat milk, lowfat cottage cheese, part-skim cheddar cheese, and Dreamfields Elbows. It’ll still be VERY tasty and you’ll have lots of leftovers!)
- Italian Roast Chicken from Wegman’s (You can buy basting oil at Stew Leonard’s, Anna.)
- Halibut with Caper Salsa Verde from Cooking Light
- Pasta with Fresh Tomato-Basil Sauce from Cooking Light
- Slow-Roasted Beef from Cook’s Illustrated
- Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes from Giada De Laurentiis
When I’m really exhausted, we have tuna fish and cut-up veggies for dinner. However, if basic tuna doesn’t sound good to you, then try Tuna Melts with Avocado from Cooking Light.