Looking for ways to get your class inspired about the upcoming Slice of Life Story Challenge? Here are a few ideas:
1. Send a letter home like I posted on Sunday. Be sure to have it translated so your students’ parents are fully aware of what’s going on. (You may encourage them to participate too!)
2. Make something kitchy! I created a fridge magnet for each student to take-home in order to remind him/her to write for the Challenge nightly.
3. Create special Slice of Life Story Challenge notebooks alongside your students. (This might involve dressing up composition books or something more intricate: your choice!)
4. Set up a SOLSC Blog for each of your students (suitable for older students) that you administer using Edublogs.
5. Share some of your own Slice of Life Stories with your students so they get a better grasp of the “genre.”
6. Practice writing Slices in-class (no more than ten minutes) today and tomorrow. Encourage students to sketch if that will enhance their story.
Have other ideas? Please leave a comment and share them with us.
Literacy Consultant. Author. Former 4th and 5th Grade Classroom Teacher.